Based on 70+ years of global moving experience, here are four must-know tips for any international move:
1. Prepare Well Ahead of Time for Your Global Move
When there’s so much to do, it’s easy to become overwhelmed—but the longer you wait to begin preparations, the harder your international move will be. As soon as you even think you might be moving, go ahead and start preparing!
Take a few hours each week to complete some simple pre-move steps:
- Make sure your passports are valid.
- Write down a list of things to do before, during, and after your move.
- Get copies of important documents like marriage licenses, court rulings, health records, background checks, and educational degrees.
- If you have pets, make sure they’re microchipped and current on vaccines.
- Start researching the language, culture, and environment of your new country.
2. Decide What to Move Abroad
For many international moves, it often ends up being easier and/or more cost-effective to relocate a select number of items rather than your entire household or office. For example, if you plan to live abroad for just a few years, you probably don’t need to move all your priceless family heirlooms. If you’re moving an office branch, you might need to take proprietary technology and critical networking equipment, but you could probably buy new furniture and office décor in country.
3. Don’t Forget About Storage
Once you’ve sorted out which items you’d like to take, begin to look for household or commercial storage options. Depending on what you plan to store, select a warehousing facility with amenities such as:
- Vaults and/or open racking
- Climate control
- Records/document management
- Inventory tracking
- Long-term storage options
Pro Tip: Many Bay Area international moving companies offer storage as part of their moving packages. By choosing a company that offers both, you’ll save yourself unnecessary hassle!
4. Research Your Bay Area International Moving Company
Working with Bay Area international movers is one of the best ways to simplify your overall moving experience. You’ll not only get assistance with the physical transportation of your items, but you’ll also have an experienced partner to go to with any questions or concerns. For the best results, search for movers with:
- Proven experience, references, and customer reviews
- BBB accreditation
- GSA certification, if necessary
- American Moving & Storage Association ProMover membership
- Affiliation with a recognized major van line
For a Bay Area international moving company with all these accreditations and more, look no further than Metropolitan Van & Storage! We’ve been an agent for Atlas Van Lines since 1963, and we’d be happy to tailor our comprehensive household and commercial moving services to your upcoming global relocation. Request your free on-site moving survey by calling us or completing our online quote form now!
Subscribe to Metropolitan Van & Storage's Blog